Saturday, February 6

Axel Cody's Birth Story

Contractions started around 6:30 pm.  I started timing them and after 2 hours of pretty good contractions that were only 5 minutes apart, I called the doctor and headed to the hospital.  We had gotten a ton of snow and it was still coming down so we didn't want to wait too long. 


We got checked in around 11 pm and started walking around the hospital, rocking on the birth ball, and breathing through contractions.


When things got a little rough, I asked to hop in the tub.  It was incredible!  Seriously one of the best baths I have ever had. I had my choice of essential oils, lights out, and candles everywhere.  There were even jets!  I spent about an hour in the tub and then it was time to check on baby again.


While we waited for things to progress we studied the "birth fact" wall.  Ha ha.  It had lots of images and information to keep us busy.


At 6 am my contractions stalled and we took a nap.  The nurse started discussing pitocin, breaking my water, etc.  I was really hoping to progress on my own, but after 2 hours of rest and very little contractions, we decided to start pitocin at 8 am.  By 9 things were still pretty mild so the doctor came in and broke my water.  Within about 10 minutes I was in serious labor and ready for some pain relief.  It was all I needed to be in full blown labor.  Around 10:30 I got an epidural and could finally relax.  I went from a 4 to and 8 in that short amount of time!  Yikes!


We took a little nap and rested up before I could start pushing.  Then around 2 pm I woke up with intense back pain.  The nurse checked and said we could start pushing soon but I was a little too numb so we waited until 3 to start. Axel was turned a little and causing some serious pain through my back.  I started pushing around 330 and he was born at 4:04 pm.


He was 8 pounds 6.6 ounces and 21 inches long with dark brown fuzzy hair.


We got to hold him for an entire hour before they weighed him or did anything to him.  It was awesome. 


First cuddles.


He did great and had a really good delivery. I thought it might go a little faster but really I couldn't have been happier.  He was healthy and it was over much quicker than my first!  The nurses were asking if my first had lots of black hair while I was pushing but Arlo was super bald.


My mom was in town watching my 2 1/2 year old and got to come spend the night with me in the hospital while I was there.  It was great.  She helped hold him and cuddle and kept us company.


My boys and me!  Arlo loved coming to visit and seeing the baby.  He got to hold him and hug him and check out the room.


LOVE.


He pretty much just slept the whole time we were in the hospital.  It was great!


This kid already loves his binky.  He loves to suck his hands too.



I am so in love with little Axel and am already dreaming of days ahead.  It's so much fun seeing all the boys together.


No comments:

Post a Comment


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails