Monday, August 19

Corn Muffins

I love cornbread.  I like it chunky, crunchy, and sweet.  It reminds me of summer and grilling.  


I made a batch of these "Corniest Corn Bread Muffins" from the book Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.  I love this book and the recipes always turn out fabulous.


This recipe is less sweet than I like, but I am kind of a sugar fiend.  I am gonna slather them in butter and honey though, so do they really need more sugar?  ... no, guess not.


Each bite is loaded with real corn and it crumbles in your hand as you eat it.  Perfect corn bread texture and mouth feel.  Real butter and corn oil make a big difference.


These are quick, simple, and can be made the day before your BBQ cookout or the morning of.  They last for a few days on the counter in a sealed container and are so good for breakfast.


You probably have most of the ingredients on hand, which makes this an easy recipe to make, say... NOW.

 

I am serving mine with BBQ ribs and garlic green beans.  Yep, you read that correctly, ribs and green beans.  That's a big day of eating if you ask me.


I couldn't resist devouring one of these as I took these pictures.  They are so good right out of the oven.  Set aside a half hour of your day from start to finish, you won't regret it!


Corniest Corn Bread Muffins

RECIPE: 
YIELD: 12 muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
1 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons corn oil 
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup corn kernels (add up to 1/3 cup more if you’d like) – fresh, frozen or canned (in which case they should be drained and patted dry)

1. Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare muffin cups with spray or liners.
2. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg (optional) in a large bowl.
3. Combine eggs, corn oil, melted and cooled butter, and buttermilk in a separate bowl.
4. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a whisk or spatula.  
The batter may be a little lumpy, it's ok.
5. Stir in corn kernels.
6. Scoop into prepared muffin tins and bake at 400 F for 15-18 minutes.
Muffins are done when they are slightly golden or a knife comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails