Thursday, August 15

Blueberry Crumb Cake

Day 3 of my personal "Cooking for a Carnivore" challenge: Decadent Blueberry Crumb Cake
(This is where I try to make things my super picky husband will eat, in case you missed out.)


Another easy victory folks.  My husband loves blueberry muffins, so I switched it up a little and made a crumb cake.  He didn't even realize it was a cake.  He isn't really a cake kind of guy, he would tell you.


This recipe is basically a pound cake with an entire pint of blueberries mixed in.  I was lucky enough to have some extra blueberries from my Bountiful Basket from earlier this week, so I used fresh juicy blueberries.


It also has a crunchy, sugary, crumbly topping to make it even more yummy.  I baked this cake in my medium pyrex pan that I usually make enchiladas in, it's a big one.  The recipe calls for an 8 by 8 pan, but I have a 6 by 6, or this bad boy.  It says it makes 8 servings... WHAT?!  This is easily 12 large servings, just saying.  Next time I make it, I am going to make a half recipe and bake it in 2 loaf pans.


Did I like it?  That's a good question.  I eat cake for a living.  You don't believe me?  That is the other part of my job as a pastry cook, so I am kind of a pro when it comes to sweets.  I do my job in the tasting department, so I know my stuff. 


This cake is loaded with berries, crunchy on top, and remarkably soft and tender.  I would definitely make it again, and eat it.


The fresh blueberries make a big difference in moisture and flavor.  They are sooo good.


Off to enjoy a slice.  Get the full recipe here, or in the book Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.  I love this book!  I have made a handful of recipes and so far they have all been fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails