Wednesday, July 31

Nursing Essentials

Nursing can be a challenge, but it can be rewarding too.  It is a personal choice and sometimes things don't work out, but if you do decide to nurse, here are a few things that might help.

(images from respective websites linked below)

#1: Lanolin.  I used this brand, but I am sure any would do.  Your nipples might get cracked and sore and this stuff helps so much.  You can use it without having to wipe it off before nursing too which makes life a little easier.

#2: Boppy or Nursing Pillow.  I love my Boppy.  We use it to prop baby up in to nap, you can use it for tummy time when they get a little older, and of course for nursing support.  It helps to have something to place your baby on, especially in the beginning.  There are a lot of other nursing pillows out there, I just chose this one because of it's popularity.

#3: Nursing Pads.  You are going to leak, it's just part of life as a nursing mom.  Nursing pads will help keep your clothes dry.  They slip right into your nursing bras and shouldn't be too noticeable.  I tried the Lansinoh, Tommee Tippee, Avent, and Johnson's ones.  I like the Johnson's ones the best, but you can try them and see which ones work for you.

#4: Nursing Tanks.  I got a few of the Target ones as a gift at my baby shower and I like them a lot.  I also got some at the Motherhood store.  They have cute colors that look like regular tank tops.  I like that about these, they look normal but allow you to nurse discreetly.

#5: A good book, a new tv show, or a lot of pinterest web surfing on your ipad.  You are going to be on the couch a lot whether you like it or not.  Enjoy it with a little entertainment.  Your baby is going to want to cuddle with you all day long.  Nurse, cuddle, nurse, cuddle, etc.  You will get up to change diapers a lot, but that is about it.  Settle in and enjoy relaxing. 

Remind yourself that it will get easier and think about all the money you are saving on formula.

Check back tomorrow for tips on what to register for.

No comments:

Post a Comment


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails